Thursday, August 21, 2008

I've got the dial-up blues

I honestly didn't know how hard it would be to have dial up Internet. It seems to have gotten worse since we've lived here. I've tried to down load pictures on the blog in the last week and I just couldn't stay up longer than 45 minutes to wait for them to download. I really wish I was exaggerating when I say it did not download in less time than 45 minutes.
I feel like I know what the Laura Ingalls must have gone through during the Hard Winter. This dial up think is really tough. I feel like I've lost half of my brain power. I never realized how much I was on the Internet during the day, getting directions somewhere, checking the weather, looking up some interesting fact, comparing prices on anything from jackets to toilets, ordering school books, ordering anything! Now I debate if I really should connect because I might miss a call. In addition not having cable we are also are out of range for voicemail and we get little if any cell phone reception. The isolation is killing me! It's almost more timely for me to hitch up the horse and buggy and go to the library to use their computer.
Oh, it's really not that bad . Well, it is, but I'm trying to approach it with a more positive attitude. I guess I have more time to do fun things like change the ice in the coolers my food is stored in since my brand new refrigerator broke down. Good thing we kept that receipt.
To those of you with high-speed, cherish it. You don't know what you have until it's gone.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I know exactly how you feel Dee. We went without Internet for almost a year when we moved here and even when I went to the library to get online it wouldn't work half the time. I hated the feeling of isolation - not that having a 200 acre back yard doesn't give off it's own sense of being isolated.

sem

Madsdriscoll said...

It feels terrible doesn't it we didn't have internet for a long time and now we have the slowest internet ever. We are very isolated it doesn't help that our closest neighbor is half a mile away.


Mads